Tuesday, October 14, 2014

CHASING THE LIGHT


I met Alex the other week in Westside to capture the last glimpse of the fading light.  A while ago we realized we both have an affinity for film cameras.  Her, the Instax, and for me, the Diana +. 

While I can never get any of my Diana+ pictures to turn out, she took one of my dearest pictures of Maisy and me

So we walked around the neighborhood.  We snapped pictures with film, and I took the same picture again with my digital camera to make sure I had recorded the moment just in case the first try didn't turn out. 

I haven't developed the film yet, but I had to share these pictures.  Alex exudes such a confidence and coolness in front of the camera.  It's not tangible, it's just that feeling she pushes through every photo with her stare. 

I still feel awkward both behind and in front of the camera.  Like I don't really belong either place. 

But driving home that night, I whispered to myself that it has to be less about just proving myself for others.  It has to be an urge to take a leap, to capture the setting sun with a new friend, and trying to chase the light in every moment.



10 comments:

  1. How fun and these pictures turned out great. I love the idea of not needing to prove yourself either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are great! Alex is looking too cool for school here. :)

    Hope you're having a great week, babe!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same exact way, I feel awkward in both situations. I just love these photos, especially the ones with the sunflowers :)

    26 and Not Counting

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun night! Your photos turned out great, which totally means you're a natural behind the camera. But I've also seen you work it in front too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics Kari! I love the light coming through on the street pics.

    The Clean Project

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! How gorgeous is that picture of the Kauffman center??
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures Kari, you have a real talent for this. I know exactly what you mean about feeling awkward in front of and behind the camera, I'm exactly the same. I love your wise words about taking a leap and chasing the light in every moment. Lovely. I shall try and do that too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. {emoji with heart eyes} these are some of my favorite pictures you've taken! Love the golden hour shots of you and your creative like-minded friend exploring. I like how you described her as a subject. You can see and feel that through the photos. I love the one of you with the flower eyes. One of my favorites of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I love that you girls did this! Golden hour and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these images, and so glad I got to explore this very area last week! :) XO

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!