Thursday, December 18, 2014

PEICD (PROJECTS EVEN I CAN DO): PAINTED TREES


Dip dyed bottle trees are all over the place, and I fell head over heels for the colored sisal trees at Anthropologie.  I love the look of them and wanted to mix in some fun nontraditional colors to my Christmas decor, but wanted to see if I could make something similar at a fraction of the cost.

However, having to bleach green bottle brush trees and then dip them in Rit dye seems like a recipe for disaster for me, evidenced by the way Wade noticeably cringed when I told him how easy it would be.



So I decided to take a different approach.  There may be a few gaps in the coloring, but it kind of looks like white snow on the branches.

Also, I didn't give my husband a heart attack or permanently ruin anything (paint can be fairly easy to wipe up).


Want to make your own super easy colored trees to add a bit of pop to your home?  The steps are so easy that I'm not even going to show "how-to" photos.  The most difficult thing is finding the white bottle brush trees.

Here's what you'll need:

--Package of white bottle brush trees (I found mine at Joanns and the Dollar Store, but I'm sure they're around this time of year.  If you can't find white ones, you can get green trees and bleach them, but again, I would have probably spilled the bleach over everything and caused a huge mess.)

--Acrylic paint in whatever colors you want the trees

--Craft paint brush (any size, but I found the bigger/thicker ones were easier to glob on the paint)




Directions:

Mash the paint onto the trees.

Seriously, it's that easy.  A few things to keep in mind:

--Don't try to squeeze the paint from the bottle directly onto the tree.  It will be too difficult to spread around.  Instead, put some paint onto a paper plate and take a glob onto your paintbrush and start dabbing it over the tree.

--Let them dry overnight.  I got too excited and started trying to decorate with them only after a few hours, which was a little messy.



The hardest part is deciding how you're going to decorate with them!  Have fun and let me know if you try this super easy project!


7 comments:

  1. This is so fun Kari, definitely more up my alley then bleach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look awesome. Whattay genius idea for holiday decorations x
    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of "projects even i can do" since I'm a huge klutz when it comes to crafting. These trees are adorable and seem easy enough that even I could brave them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! I bet they look great with all of your other decorations. Wish I was there to decorate with you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SWEAR we have the SAME hubby! hahahaha!
    "However, having to bleach green bottle brush trees and then dip them in Rit dye seems like a recipe for disaster for me, evidenced by the way Wade noticeably cringed when I told him how easy it would be."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the effect of still being able to see some white--it does look like there's been a sprinkle of snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my eye on some silver ones, now I can just make my own! Very cool

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!